Re: Cementing vs. learning.

From: gamartin_at_...
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:14:12 -0000

> *bangs head repeatedly on keyboard* I explicitly (and by now,
> repeatedly) said I was talking about "modelling" narrative, and
> hence specifically, cited a game-world difference that would
> feature in a _story_ one might wish to tell. I don't see what's
> so hard to grasp about this point.

Aha, you mean a mechanically explicit genre convention.

> > Whetehr or not something is mythically significant in a world has
> > nbothing to do with the narrative impact of that fact in any
given
> > story,
>
> If one wants to make a "feature" of a mythic distinction in one's
> narrative, then I have to suggest this is clearly false.

So why would want the MECHANIC to enforce that level of distinction? The mechanic has to be a vehicle for more than one story, unless you write specific mechanics for each story (which I'm in favour of, mind). this appears to be an entirely self-imposed problem.