Re: Re: Digest Number 756

From: con1453_at_...
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 18:26:25 EST

In a message dated 2/19/02 5:35:27 PM, simon.hibbs_at_... writes:

<< However I don't think you'd find it a lot more strange in an Orlanthi stead than living among any of the remaining tribal people who follow a traditional lifestyle in the modern world today... most of the time. >>

I think the problem is that most of our players don't even know what life is like in their own countries, let alone many others. I remember once someone saying it was hard to imagine modern people thinking death was better than dishonor, and pointing out that any ghetto gang member in an American city would know exactly that death was better than dishonor. Play a Uroxi like a gang member; hell, play an Orlanthi like a gang member, and you'll be getting closer to the truth than playing him anything like a modern mini-maxer.

And remember, NOW, right now, the majority of the world's people have never been more than fifty miles from their birthplace. American movies always have ETs and the like landing and meeting middle-class Americans; what if they landed and met an Asian peasant?

Jim Chapin