Re: Re: FW: O/T yahoo groups

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:18:22 +0000

Me :

>Before we run off half-cocked, has anyone come across any evidence that
>Yahoo's supposed intentions are actually real?

 From a story on Slash-dot, I came across http://theendoffree.com/ which carries a story on the possibilities. It includes a link to a screenshot at http://www.carlsoncarlson.com/dane/graphics/2002/02/19/new-yahoogroups-service.gif which claims to show the proposed level of service. A survey is currently (9:00 am UK time) available at
http://promo2.yahoo.com/sbin/Groups/survey.cgi which I have just taken. Personal information is only asked for you enter the sweepstakes at the end, which is not open to non-US residents anyway.

The basic summary is that Yahoo appears to be thinking of charging either (a) groups for file space or/and (b) members for no ads. Given they are conducting a survey first, I'm guessing little will come of this, but it may be worth making sure we have an archive of the messages/files in case the worst happens. I'll also repeat, publicly, my offer to host all the current gloranthan mailing lists should the worst happen - whether they are this list, or a private list for someone's e-mail game. I'm working on ensuring the offer will include threaded, searchable archives, and a members file space.

NOTE : Until this is actually, publicly announced, lets not panic! A little forward planning (largely between the various list admins) and everyone saying no in whatever surveys they can find is all that is currently needed.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson