Re: List policies

From: moonbroth <Nick_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 14:18:41 -0000

My fellow moderator Graham wisely wrote:

> The problem some people are pointing to is that while flame wars
> are swiftly (and correctly) stomped on, esoterica appears to be
> more tolerated.

OK, I'd be happy to become more intolerant of esoterica, if this represents the collective will of the HeroWars list's membership. Opinions to me in private email, please (nick _at_ etyries.com).

> It doesn't help when sometimes people ignore moderator directions.

Nobody has ever ended up on "moderated" status for complying with their moderators' directions. Ignoring them, OTOH, is pure folly.

> The easiest people to moderate are those who move threads
> themselves, without moderator input.

Indeed, I've never felt the need to moderate any such person :-)

Look, by and large it's a good life here, and despite the recent tone us moderators aren't always wallowing in self-pity. I won't pretend I'm not sometimes over the moon when individuals (who will remain nameless, lest their lawyers complain) condemn themselves to the sin bin for grotesque and persistent unsociability.

Please feel free to anonymously denounce posters and/or threads to the ever-vigilant moderators at any time, if you think we should be more proactive. There's a collective email address which reaches all of us (mailto: herowars-owner _at_ yahoogroups.com), and I'd urge you to make more use of it. Mind you, hassling the moderators off-list may not be a particularly productive use of your time... :-)

Cheers, Nick