Re: Digest Number 780

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 20:05:51 +0000

> > IMO much of the inflation is in the Hero Wars rulebook. Deep winter
> > in Dragon Pass at 5w4 just seems silly to me.
>
> At -30�C (appr. -22�F) it will take an unprotected person a couple of hours
> to get frostbite bad enough to limit her mobility, and a day or so to kill
> tissue down to the bone, causing dry gangrene, requiring amputation. My
> guess is that Dragon Pass winters can get much nastier than that.

Personally, I wouldn't have thought so for a minute. Well, on top of the mountains, maybe, but most of the Sartarites live in valleys or high moorland not on mountain tops, and furthermore, Dragon Pass is on the southern edge of Genertela. Now, of course, all the Orlanth worship makes the weather colder than it otherwise would be (or I'd suggest, say, Spanish highland weather) but even so I doubt that Dragon Pass is much colder than, for example, Scotland. Even most of Canada doesn't get 'much below -30�c' on a regular basis - you'd be looking at places such as central Greenland. Wind chill can add quite a bit, of course, but I still doubt its normally that cold outside of high mountains, Pent or northern Fronela.

Certainly that's how it would be in my game, anyway. YGMV, of course.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

MXLPs: 3 (Cap'n Q, Harvey Mills, Tim Hall)