Re: 14 is a magic number

From: theunspokenword <hia15_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 18:49:49 -0000

Hi Wesley,

> Why wouldn't the shield's wearer be able to defend himself
> (and his
> property) with his own magic? If a humakti can break my shield
with a
> target of 14, then a ZZ can set my clothes on fire with the same
ease.

I'd say that a rough rule of thumb is that if it is going to hurt someone directly (eg, by setting their clothes on file) then it is an attack, and therefore the wearer can resist. Again, I think it is important to think of the cinematic conventions rather than treating HW as a realistic simulation.

Another way of thinking about it is if that ZZ tries to ignite the hero's clothes against a resistance of 14, a success would not cremate the hero but say that, for example, his cloak starts burning and he must quickly wrench off the clasp and drop it. Not fatal, but if what the ZZ was trying to do was disrupt a ritual, create a diversion or simply signal to the other uz in the wood where there target was, effective.

> And what would be the resistance for a magical shield - assuming
that
> the
> shield does not have an ability rating.

Usally I'd assume that the shield *would* have an ability rating...

Mark

Mark Galeotti