Re: Undertribes?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 23:00:21 +1300

Me:

>"Undertribe" is BA's word for the Alone and the Aldachuri are
>likewise spoken as being an "Overtribe". Some concept of
>inferiority is indicated viz-a-viz the Aldachuri but I can't
>say more as the Far Point is a hazy area to me.

Just found another data point. An Overking is an intermediate status between a tribal king and a high king (TR p37) being "First among at least four other kings". So the Overtribe looks like a variation of a tribal confederation.

The undertribe sounds to me like a mocking name for tribes forced to pay tribute to the overtribe. But John

--Peter Metcalfe