Trade Route of Dragonpass and Sea

From: TERRA INCOGNITA <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 01:44:10 +0900

Recently, one of my Japanese friends translated the old English Article "Trade in Glorantha".
http://www.ioxy.com/fabworlds/Glorantha/gltrade.html

And I and he have discussed many topics. As an expert of History, he usually overwhelmed me, oh, sorry. It's off topic. He did an excellent work for that and "Efendi" (Turkish, Scholar) wrote very good annotation for it. (If I can show it to Gerald directly by English, I believe he would also admire his accomplishment. Don't any of you really know his current contact?)

But some of topics went to the status of shortage for information, or complete discrepancies of Reality and Fantastic Fun-Source.

  1. Dragonpass trade route: I and Efendi discussed long about which Trade Route is best for Kethaelan Merchants to bring commodities to Peloria, Gerald mentioned river route though there are marsh (north of Shadow Plateau) and the Upland Marsh and Beast Valley between Esrolia and Sartar through Lysos River. (I cannot agree about it.) Efendi think Sartar Dynasty's achievement for making good roads are mercantile for Sartar's attitude to civilization and style of rulership. But I talked him about the Kitori tribe, recent connection of tarshite King Moirades and FHQ, and independence of each Sartar tribes. And I suggested him Grazeland route though Lunar Armies seems cautiously to avoid trespassing the boundary of Grazers in each campaigns. (Many Articles about the Route of Lunar Army in Dragonpass Campaign.) What is the condition of trade route in grazeland and Black Horse County?

> From HW Mailing Lists:

> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 07:38:25 -0800
> From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
> Subject: Re: Clans question
>
> John and Benedict have both contributed important facts.
>
> My contributory answers.
>
> >1) Do roads in Sartar go through clan property or between borders?
> Through
>
> >2) If through do you have to ask permission to pass through tulas
> >when you are not stopping?
> Yes.
> Unless of course they are close friends.
> Or you sneak through.
>
> >3) Are the King's Roads like interstate roads, passing around
> >settlements?
> No. Well, yes they used to be.
> Towns have sprung up along the road to facilitate the travel (places to
> stay, rest animals, etc.)
>
> >4) How do you raid someone far away without fighting every clan
> >between you and them.
> Either they are friends and let you pass, or they do not know when you
> sneak through their territory. After all, if they had ever found you then
> certainly you would have made the proper introductions and so on. They
> cannot, after all, forbid people from entering and leaving their territory
> by only a couple check points! That is unnatural. Does the wind follow
> roads?
>
> >5) With the Hero Wars rules for Wyters is it impossible to run murder
> >mysteries?
> No. Narrators should work for the "common wyters" to find out what the one
> in your story is like. A mystery would include exploring just exactly what
> and how does a wyter perceive and report information?
>
> >6) Does the Wyter speak in riddles like divination (can it be
> >ambiguous)?
> Yes it is ambiguous to most people. But being in contact with it requires
> person to learn how to communicate more clearly with it.
>
> >7) Can a Wyter's attention be misdirected while some other mischief
> >is taking place.
> Yes. Absolutely. Trucking the gatekeepers is a way of life.
>
> >8) Would a Wyter alert the Chief if there were unauthorised, non-
> >violent, social contact across borders, say, love affairs, football
> >matches, smuggling, etc?
> Not normally, although some wyters might consider a love affair between
> enemies to be a clan threat. It depends on how it interprets the world.
>
> >9) Do clan members ask permission before going to another clan's
> >fairs and markets?
> Areas, especially amidst tribes, have laws that detail these rules, but
> generally passage to a market is allowed when the traveller wears some
sort
> of badge or sign that they are doing that. Such badge is often a holly
> branch, because Issaries often uses it to set up market boundaries.
> Remember that tribes in general are a part of the natural order that makes
> life easier for its member clans. One of these ways is to regulate
> [...]

2) Sea Sailing Speed: As an academic of professional History, he calculated sailing speed of ancient people boats and ships, but while I referred to Missinglands p94-100, he was really upset by the sailing speed which I think Greg Stafford himself wrote down it for his campaign, (I guess at least past one time Greg finished the Journey of Argrath and Harrek circumnavigating the Homeward Ocean clockwise as in Argrath's Saga.) He said that was "Nintendo-game" like speed even that he can accept it as a deed of greatest heroes of modern 17C Glorantha. He think Glorantha People need a lot of time for sailing approximately ten times more than Greg's writings. (For example, Greg wrote from Jrustela to Seshnela 7 days. But Efendi thinks from Sog City to Northpoint 5 days.....) Certainly Killer Current will take slow Boaters if Efendi thought Gloranthans hold only such poor navigation skills.....

Current Glorantha Digest system seems to go unstable....

Terra Incognita

.