Re: Re: Using Famous Characters

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 17:16:34 +0300 (EEST)

:In games I've played in, Big Name NPCs have been everything
:from "way up there" names whose minions are obeyed without question,
:to player characters. And, having tried it, I prefer not to have
:them as player characters unless the game is a long way into Future
:History. Knowing that either they survive or History is wrecked
:limits things to much for my taste.

Personally I don't read too much into the "future history". It's just an account of how things meight turn out, and a nifty way to get an impression of the skills and capabilities of the famous characters.

In my game only the history is set, the future is yet to come. I have no idea who will walk away if the Crimson Emperor and Harsaltar the Terrible do meet on the walls of Boldhome in my glorantha. And I won't know until it has been played out.

One of the player characters in my game is a Lunar field-marshal, responsible for the south-eastern border of the empire. It frees me from trying to run every front of the conflict.

But this approach is not for everyone, I know. But on a more limited scale, I don't see any reason to railroad every victory, duel and betrayal according to a script of the future.

        -Adept