Daunting Dragon Pas

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 12:27:54 -0500

My first and only Gloranthan campaign ran from 1979-1983, using the map from the Dragon Pass game and whatever supplements were around at the time. I didn't know about Heroquesting or the Hero Wars and was happy in my ignorance.

I've done some sporadic gamemastering over the years with a few other systems, and it seems like I was comparing every game to RuneQuest and every world to Glorantha. I've got a pretty good-size collection of RQ supplements and magazines, and every Hero Wars book that's come out so far. I'm not a Gloranthan expert, but I've got a pretty good idea of the basics of how it works.

Now I've decided to run a game in Dragon Pass, and I find myself apprehensive about it. The political and religious turmoil drives the action of the Hero Wars, which I want my players to enjoy, yet I have a hard time keeping up with the great number of personalities, their relationships, their loyalties, their treacheries. I want to retain the rich tapestry of Dragon Pass poised on the brink of the Hero Wars, yet I don't really have a handle on most of the movers-and-shakers in the region.

I suspect that finding the right premise for the campaign would help; I like the suggestion I received earlier about a warband of Humakti, or maybe a band of outlaws or rebels. Any suggestions, though, would be very much appreciated.

Guy Hoyle