Re: Newbie Intro

From: wulfcorbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 13:14:31 -0000

hullo...

> I've been lurking for a few days, and, as it appears that poking
one's head
> above the parapet doesn't seem to result in instantaneous death

It's the Thanatari again...

> compared with the Glorantha we used for Runequest way back when:
the slight
> sense of whimsy seems absent- the feel is more of a 'high fantasy'
Harn- highly
> detailed, canonically consistent etc. No bad thing in its way, but
hard to get
> enough of a 'critical mass' of information together to feel
confident about

Agreed, too much depth and not enough playable breadth. 'Economically consistent'? Not my description of the Wealth rules, but still...

> I think I could create a character, but I have no idea how to force
enough
> information into my players (given that getting any of them to read
more than a
> single page, ever, is almost impossible) to get *them* to create
characters
> which would fit into what passes for polite society in Dragon
Pass.

I would say telling them it's celtic/viking with a lot of low-level magic would do... Discussing the floodtide of choices of deity to worship usually serves as a good excuse to introduce lots of Gloranthan myth and flavour. Unless they're of the creative variety, the 100-word writeup is probably a bad idea, so go with the list method, leave a few slots open until they get a bit of play in.

> I'm also completely lost as to where to start, adventuring-wise,
what sort of
> thing to run and how to run it

Start with the old ways, there's quite a few old RQ adventures around the 'net converted to HW. Rainbow Mounds still works, just about. Gringle's Pawnshop (subtly disguised since pawnshops don't belong in the newly revamped Dragon Pass) worked very well indeed for us. Get used to the basics of the system before you stsrt converting the players. Barbarian Adventures, although I personally don't like it too much, does have an interesting adventure and a lot of nice scenario ideas.

> Regards,
> Dr. Phil Hendry

You're a doctor? I've got this pain in my left shoulder where a bloke in plate mail fell on me a couple weeks ago...

Wulf