Re: Humakti again (longish)

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:16:25 -0000

> >bear in mind that abandoning
> >family and clan is one of the worst crimes in Heortling society
>
> but they are not "abandoning family and clan", they are serving
them by
> taking a ritual and legal role essential in Heortling society...

Let me put it this way. In Heortling society, the worst crime anyone can commit is to kill kin. It is their most sacred taboo.

A Humakt devotee serves death before all else. He must be impartial and unswayed by normal considerations, which means that if he is called on to kill, he must do so _even_if_ the person to die was once kin. A humakti executioner called on to execute his brother is required to do so, as a religious duty.

His former kin know this. Are you seriously saying that it does not greatly affect their relationship with him?

> but I think they _do_ benifit from the emotional and ritual bonds
of society
> even if they do so indirrectly - for a real world parrallel,
everyone hates
> coppers and they consequently live largely outside of the rest of
society

Coppers are more the equivalent Orlanth worshiping Huscarls.

Simon Hibbs