Re: Humakti Ambushing

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 14:17:26 -0700

At 12:54 PM 6/27/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...> wrote:
>(Or is there some other reason why Humakt doesn't ambush? I'm rusty on
>the mythos. Is there some relevant myth?)

I would like to take the moment to point out that in my Glorantha the Humakti sometimes do ambush. this is one of those points where the question of honor becomes murky and various Humakti temples debate how far to extend the practice.

Humakti always extend utmost honor to each other, and never ambush each other. They almost can't, since they are always ready to face Death. Humakti, because of their honor, often do not ambush other Orlanthi. These are people who honor them, too. A Humakti is more likely to directly confront his foe. They are within the society and therefore deserving of its rules and laws, even of Death. Several myths of this type are experienced during Holy Days and Sacred Time. It is one of the ways that Humakt's role within society is defied and strengthened. Humakti often ambush outsiders. People who do not understand the ways of Humakt do not deserve his honor. Humakt did this in several myths, surprising his enemy with some stragem. Some Humakti extend the honor of the warrior Death to others of their class and standing, for they recognize that honor is sometimes shared by outsiders who believe the same things.
Some Humakti extend their honor to all things, because once Humakt did that even to a chaos god.
All the stories are generally know to most Humakti that are well informed. They must choose which one is most important to them.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_...
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>