Re: New Pelorian

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 21:05:25 +1200

At 10:21 AM 8/9/02 +0200, you wrote:
>I'm worried.
>
>My Pavic Real City hero has learned New Pelorian to impress a certain
>girl from Carmania but I just saw this in G:IttHW p 91
>
>"However, on rare occasions eloquent speakers of new Pelorian become
>sufficiently enlightened by the language to be lunarized, even if they
>have never worshipped Sedenya or her fellow deities."

>Does he now run the risk of becoming a raving moon-worshipping chaos
>monster simply by talking to pretty girls?

Yes. That's why Moon-haters limit their knowledge.

>I think I've come across this before, that New Pelorian is a vehicle for
>Lunar thought and philosophy. Is this some sort of Nysaloran effect
>(roll once every sacred time to see if you've become a Lunar!) similar
>to Illumination, not the results, just the way it works?

No. It's not a sudden consciousness - rather it's a gradual effect that depends on how well you speak new Pelorian. Note the limits on its effect on page 94 of the Glorantha: Intro however.

>What is the history of the language, the "New" seems to indicate it is
>based on one or more older languages?

It is based on Old Pelorian, the language that was spoken during the Green Age, and revised and updated.

--Peter Metcalfe