Re: Some questions about rokari castes

From: metcalphnz <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 20:45:26 -0000

Yes. How society treats them is based on the status of her husband or her father.

> -What limitations exist for the marriage among rokari (if any)?

Women can marry any caste. If she marries inappropriately (like a lord's daughter falls in love with a broad-shouldered farmer), then there will be social tension. The tension is much less (but still there) if a Lord marries a peasant's pretty daughter. In both cases, the Malkioni scriptures are silent but the families involved can have a great deal to say and do (such as kidnapping).

> Magicians, ligurgists, members of religious orders... can marry?

Members of the Wizards Caste cannot marry and are supposed to be celibate. New Wizards are born to cloistered nuns. These nuns are chosen on the basis of their magical powers (i.e. if a women displays disturbing magical powers, she is packed off to the nunnery where she can be kept under control and her family can pretend that she doesn't exist). Fathering new wizards on those nuns is the responsibility of the Fathersuperior  in charge of the Nunnery.

> -¿How is the caste determined at the moment of the birth? I
suppose
> that it's hereditary, but I'm not sure (order of birth seems to be
> the method among the brithini, but they have very few children;
> divination-like methods sounds too 'theist' perhaps).

The Rokari know that Caste is hereditary. A man lives and dies in his father's caste. People who aspire beyond their caste are criminals and should be treated as such. Changing castes does happen but it's something the Rokari Church are trying to stamp out.

--Peter Metcalfe