Re: Heler and the Water Tribe

From: Philippe Sigaud <sigaud_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 18:24:54 +0200 (MEST)

En r�ponse � jeffkyer <jeff.kyer_at_...>:

> Good questions, Phillipe - I don't think I can provide all the answers
>
> but I can manage some... I hope.

that's the case :)

> > with friends and 'wannabe helerites' in my group. Sorry if that's
> quite
> > long.
>
> Wannabe helerites - that's hilarous, considering the implications of
> the cult (ambivalent sexuality, tranformative properties, etc)

Well, I think the idea is more a grizzled (sp ?) old warrior, worshipping Helemakt (as a subcult of Heler, not Orlanth) or Uroth the Ram (as a godi and 'ritual earth fertilizer'). Blue-haired, hair on his chest, still lustful, maybe some ram odor ;)
Well, now that I think about it, that's not incompatible with any sexuality that I know of :)

> > ST says that the Water Tribe sees Heler as a traitor, the apostate
> > who changed side to join Orlanth. The consequence being that any
> Water
> > Tribe member considers Helerites as ennemies...
>
> The Helerites are cut off from the flow of water of rain -> stream ->
> river -> sea -> ocean -> rain. As the Sea Tribe goes, Heler is
> horribly alone. (This is my interpretation and I could be wrong)

indeed. Heler would be 'only' the rain used by the Earth, whereas 'normal' wtaer goes back to sea ?
Hmm, then rain could also be the re-playing of the invasion of the Sky by the forces of the Ocean...

I also have this scatologic Eurmali explanation about Eurmal teaching Heler how to pass water :(

> > Well, since it would be difficult for a Heler-worshipping hero to
> avoid
> > bodies of water or to ask forgivance to any river before crossing
> it, I'm
>
> I'd just make crossing any water that could be hostile have an
> automatic augment against his efforts - and the occasional attack by
> watery daimonies/essences/spirits when he gets too close. The bigger
> the water, the greater the opposing force (a stream might be a -1
> penalty but a river might be -5 and a bay could be a -20... and of
> course the difficulty is greater with the increasing size anyways. It
> creates a nice little feedback loop of difficulty for a Helerite.)

Hey, Orlanth and other types have lots of ennemy. I never heard of an orlanthi having equivalent penalties. That'd make many players think twice before selecting Heler.

> > wondering about the presence of the Water Tribe in Dragon Pass and
> Maniria.
>
> The cult is stronger in Manirira but the Helerites were pretty much
> obliteratated by Chaos during the Darkness.

Well, like many peoples.

There's a few sacred
> places but not many.

Agreed. But summits (particularly rain-drenched ones), really wet valleys, or temporary accumulations of rain may be sacred. And places where one of the Rams (Blue, Golden, Black) set foot (er, hooves ?)

> Definitely a good myth. I may use it myself. =)

well, thanks.

Water is subject to
> the Churner but Heler always retains his identity - that's his curse.

not to be one with the flow ?
to be cut from the great current, alone in the air ?

> > Another explanation could be that after their defeat (thrinbarri ?),
> > the Sea Gods were forced to regularly send hostages to the Storm
> Tribe.
> > Elmal heats the sea (collects the hostages, as little daimones of
> water),
> > Heler the Traitor gathers them into clouds, and release them some
> time
> > later, where they joyfully escape their slavery and flow back
> towards the
>
> Another good myth. In my Glroantha, I would say BOTH are true. And
> tribes freverently believe either case or both. Remember, Heler is an
> incredibly ambigiuous god(dess)

IMG, one is an helerite myth (the first, friendly one). The second could be a Ludoch or sea-people one.

> > sea ... Certainly, seeing Heler as a collector of slaves may be a
> good
> > reason to hate him.
>
> I don't think he's into slavery as much.

but from a saltwater entity PoV ?

> > And finally, about the Syphon River... Where does it flow into ? I
> mean, is
> > there a hole in the ground (or cosmos) somewhere in the Print, from
> which it can
> > reach the Underworld (or somewhere else) ?
>
> It flows into the depths of the earth - there's a hole into the
> Underworld in the Print that the river flows into.
>
> Its also a rather Chaotic river, if I recall.

Is it ? Huh, that would sure change the way Heorlanders see it.

> > Is that the reason I have this impression that no Heortlander will
> use a boat on
> > it ? This old mad warrior may be a bit too 'rough' or even plain
> dangerous,
> > subject to fits of temper, changing from placid river to raging
> maelstrom in a
>
> Its just plain wrong. You don't want to be on a river that's wrong.
> And you don't want to get swept INTO the Chaos Forest or worse, into
> the Underworld where the river comes out. That would be bad.

And then, it could get worse, and you don't want to know. So, DO NOT SWIM in this river ? Am I cleat, young one ? (yes daddy, etc)
And from time to time, stupid young warriors comme and try to fight it.

> > moment as it senses Chaos nearby ? Can no propitiation calms it ?
> May it be to
> > mad to be reached or appeased (I quite like the idea of a river seen
>
> as a
> > dangerous beast)
> >

> > Philippe
>
> I don't think it could be apeased. And if it started flowing 'right'
> then just imagine what would be flowing out of the Footprint on it.
> That would be bad, I think.

I had to purge some plumbing in my house. I can imagine. Yuck !!!

> Hope this helps,
> Jeff

Sure, thanks.

Philippe.