Re: Some questions about rokari castes

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 16:54:11 -0000

> > > Magicians, ligurgists, members of religious orders... can marry?
> > Members of the Wizards Caste cannot marry and are supposed
> > to be celibate.
>
> What about non-wizard clergymen? I mean, Liturgists of other castes.

I'd be surprised if they can't marry - if marriage was good enough for Malkion...

> And I suppose that the majority of monks are peasants, not wizards.
> They take chastity vows, I think.

That's conceivable. If there are peasant monks, that is, which I'm not convinced of.

> And what about sorcerers (if they are tolerated in Seshnela)?

Assuming that by 'sorcerers' we mean the 'atheist' types, I have no doubt that they can marry (although, doubtless, some individual orders will forbid it). Heck, they can fornicate if they like - its not against their religion :-)

> Perhaps it would be easier for me if I knew the gloranthan reason for
> celibacy in rokari church (assuming that wizards can't marry).
> Religious 'purity'? (althought Malkion married, I think) They believe
> that celibacy is better for magic? Avoid nepotism? Malkioni
> scriptures? (not the Abiding Book IMO, because I think hrestoli
> wizards have no problems with marriage, they marry before, normaly),

Hrestoli wizards definately marry. In the case of the Loskalmi, as you say, most of them are already married by the time they become ordained.

> sacrifice and rejecting material world and material pleasures? (this
> is my favourite, but perhaps it isn't good for ALL Wizards) All of
> them?

It doesn't make much sense to me, either, but there we are. If Malkion could marry and have kids, its difficult to argue that procreation is a bad thing for religious leaders, since we all know that Malkion was perfect in every way - and he's clearly a religious leader!

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic