Re: Some questions about rokari castes

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 23:39:37 +0000

antalvarez2001 writes:

> What about non-wizard clergymen? I mean, Liturgists of other castes.

They may or may not marry. Personally I think they don't, not for any religious reason but to prevent church property being alienated through inheritance. This is the original reason for priestly (as opposed to monastic) celibacy in the western church as people weren't too clear in the 11th century as to the division between personal property (that which is yours) and public property (that which has been entrusted to you).

Hence as a sign of their special status, liturgists of other castes have to wear white robes and take a vow of celibracy IMO.

One can avoid this and still be a liturgist but if the church ever finds out, they'll probably send someone around to break the liturgist's legs.

> And I suppose that the majority of monks are peasants, not wizards.
> They make chastity votes, I think.

Monastics would be members of the wizards caste.

> And what about sorcerers (if they are tolerated in Seshnela)?

Sorcerers can marry if they are not part of the church. They either get treated as commoners (if the church doesn't recognize their creed as legitimate) or as wizards (if the church does).

Legitimate creeds are those that exist in holy scripture. The best parallel in the RW would be muslim tolerance of Christians and Jews and also Christian semi-tolerance of jews. The Rokari would accept the Vadeli, the Brithini and perhaps the Galvosti.

Illegitimate creeds are those that the church dislikes: Hrestoli, Arkati/Stygian and Borists.

> Perhaps it would be easier for me if I knew the gloranthan reason for
> celibacy in rokari church (assuming that wizards can't marry).
> Religious 'purity'? (althought Malkion married, I think)

Even though Malkion married, the Rokari could still insist that he didn't sleep with his woman (being pure of heart, mind and body). Any kids that he had could be miracolously conceived.

> They believe
> that celibacy is better for magic?

I think they regard the real world of matter as fallen (hence an old name for them: Realists) and take great steps to avoid it lest it pollute their soul and deny them solace. Different castes do this in different ways and the Wizards choose celibacy.

 --Peter Metcalfe