Re: Some questions about rokari castes

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 04:21:27 +0000

antalvarez2001 writes:
>>That's conceivable. If there are peasant monks, that is, which I'm
>>not convinced of.

> I was thinking in some of the people with natural piety (as in HW p.
> 197), for example.

I think those people are more likely to be hermits (the withdrawal from the world) than to serve the worldly church. The parallel between Malkionism and Christianity isn't exact and the monastic institutions may have a different purpose than the example of Saint Anthony in the Desert.

> If the castes are hereditary, we have to do
> something with the vocations ;-) They spend 60% of their time in
> oration and the rest working as peasants �in the Abbey!

I think farmers working at a monastery are ordinary farmers. Becaue of the closeness of the monks, they might be saddled with some religious burden (condemned to wear sackcloth) for some past sin (oggling the neighbour's daughter) and so seen by outsiders to be "more religious" than other farmers.

> And in nuns also, because I think women can't be
> Wizards in rokari Church as a general rule.

Women have their own caste in canons of the Rokari Church. To speak about a women being a knight, wizard or lord is meaningless

> I like the idea of cloistered nuns and the very-holy Father General ;-
> ) But i prefer that it did't be the only method to produce Wizards.

Other possibilities include:

 --Peter Metcalfe