Elemental Wheel and PMB

From: Philippe Sigaud <sigaud_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 10:53:25 +0200 (MEST)

Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_...>:

> Once you take the boat out of Water, it is under the influence of Earth.
> One
> reason things fall down when you throw them upwards is because Earth
> is "Stronger" than Air (cf Elemental Wheel). Another is because air may be
> a strong element, but doesn't have great long-term endurance

> Wind is Stronger than water, which is why Tornadoes and Hurricanes and
> the like can pile great waves up against the shore, and why sail-driven
> boats can go against the cuirrent.
>
> Need more PMB*?

> *PMB = "Pure Mythic Bulls**t"

Yes, give me some more !

Is Elemental Wheel "Fire over Darkness over Earth over Air over Water over Fire" ?

I never gave any thoughts to this wheel (for sure never had to use it in play). But that explains some things :

why shadows and darkness flee away from a torch (or sun) why grottoes and underground places are so dark (earth can't chase Darkness) why water extinguishes fire, of course.

Of course, going this way is a sure road towards Godlearnerism, IMO, as you cannot 'map' all the possible interactions between natural phenomenons using only this guideline. A lot of myths are also there to explain the world in a different and contradictory way. And even the fundamental nature of the Elemental Progression (IIRC, it's described in the rules as being something that 'transcends' normal magical boundaries) may bow down before myth, if myth contradicts it.

Shadows flee away from a fire because the big Uz Family ran away when the Fiery Death came crashing in Wonderhome. That something that _now_ any member of the Dark will do instinctively.
Water is stronger than fire because the Water Tribe conquered the Sky and learned the way to fight against the Burning Warriors... Maybe in the beginning, water didn't know how to quench fire ?
Or is the Elemental Wheel so fundamental that water, by its very nature, kills fire ?

Philippe