Re: Eating people is wrong!

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 09:30:59 -0000

> FWIW, I think Enlo are the only sentient beings Uz kill *for food*.
> They'll eat anything that's dead--meat is meat--but they won't kill
> sentient being just to eat it. Of course, they'll kill a sentient
being
> for being a snot-nosed death-worshipping sunboy, and once he's dead,
> they'll eat the body. Meat, like I said, is meat.

Uz hunting and killing humans for food is normal, natural and nothing to worry about, unless you're a human. It is perfectly consistent with nature for one species to hunt another for food.

It is not normal or natural for a species to exclusively, or especialy hunt other members of it's own species for it's daily subsistence. Members of the same species are by definition can at least nominaly be regarded as very distant kin. To take a comparative example, stabbing another person in the back and hiding the body is murder, but hunters do that to prey animals all the time. There is a clear moral difference between how you treat those like yourself, and how you treat those unlike yourself, IMHO.

Glorantha is not an airy fairy post-modern, cultural relativist construction. There are real issues of right and wrong, good and evil, but handled in an inteligent and thought provoking manner. Ambiguity and uncertainty are part of life, yet we still have an instinctive understanding of right and wrong, so why shouldn't they be part of Glorantha?

Simon Hibbs