Re: Re: Meeting your God

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 12:45:45 +1200

Morgan Conrad.

>Even if I accept these religious tenets, it's "arguable", and you
>could, at best, claim it as an Article of Faith, not provable,
>objective reality.

Back in the good old days (pre-modern times), such things were considered to be objective reality. They had nothing to tell them otherwise.

>The Dwarf (named Amazing Randi of course) at a
>hypothetical "Orlanthi Mass" would detect hemoblobin in the wine,
>human DNA in the Host, and then meet Orlanthi, be able to do a
>voiceprint, compare it to the NSA voiceprints, :-) and find
>objective proof that the Orlanthi do actually meet Orlanth.

And Orlanth, as all good dwarves know, is simply a defective cog in the World Machine. Meeting him will do little to disabuse him of that faith.

Likewise a Orlanthi who is filled with doubt _does_ not begin to believe that Orlanth might not exist, rather he is plagued with the realization that Orlanth might be _wrong_.

--Peter Metcalfe