Re: Enlo fertility

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 18:54:44 +0300

Bo Rosen wrote:

> My guess is that a small percentage of them are sexually mature and
> those that are, are kept far apart or snipped. Only in the wild do they
> actually have a chance or reproducing, but the horrible conditions there
> usually mean the young don't survive.

Many uz clans actually probably encourage the enlo to reproduce to keep up a
decent slave population. Since (at least IMO) enlo mothers tend to produce poor
offspring and lack resources to care for them too much, it's a limited blessing at
best. In the wild, they often *do* do well enough to create "enlo blooms," where
they overrun the area and eat up their food supply, but without new influxes of
escapees they'd (IMO) die out over a few generations or degenerate into some non-uz type..

Like Peter Metcalfe says, the uzko twin births may be responsible for the core of
superior enlo, although it seems a bit odd in some ways (you'd think a mother could tell the difference between a healthy uzko twin infant and a nasty enlo infant, yuck). As a plot device, though, it could encourage an uzko mothera
when giving birth to two twins that look uzko-quality to either kill (not
socially approved, though) or "send away" one of the babies.*

IMG, some uz clans hold that enlo are produced when a healthy uz soul is "broken up" or "weakened" by D'Wargon's actions, encouraging a small number of enlo to try
and "fix" this (by consuming littermates, going on weird heroquests to strengthen themselves, etc.)

Cheers,

James