Re: Re: the proper meaning of "Gallts"

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 01:51:53 +1100

'Gors and gallt' started as my campaign term to describe the unique wilderness of the Far Place - mysterious and magical expanses of wild mystery where the beast tribes and other wanton powers still reign supreme. The words themselves are Welsh. 'Gors' is forest or wood, 'gallt' is marshy wetlands or more generally wasteland. I usually translate the term 'forest and waste'. Alternative descriptions might be Odayla's Forests, the Wild Wastes or even simply the deep woods.

The term 'gors' has crept a few times into official publications meaning 'forest'. In doing up the Far Place entries for the Kerofinela gazetteer project, I provided alternate entries for 'gors and gallt', and will leave it to the discretion of the editors (Ian Cooper and Greg) to decide whether my idiosyncratic naming becomes part of GAG.

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_...                              John Hughes
Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

>From tulas harsh-stripped

            streamed the strong called to battle, Spears each held ready, shield-clash they sought. Fyrd-fierce and fearless, from hearth called and harstings Fashioned they feasting for Humakt's dark-swans.

My kinsmen, my comrades, they budged not in battle Brought courage to combat, feat-strong and fierce. Like berries in harvest, bright red their bounty they made shame of armies, caused red moon to flee.