Heroquests

From: simonbrayuk_at_...
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 07:52:36 EST

Hi Keith,

 Would it not be easier (respectively) to do the well established and well known Aroka Heroquest, where Orlanth fights daga, gains the six winds (including Gagarth found in Prax) and defeats Aroka, releasing Heler and bringing rain and fertility to the land? The Heroquest you propose is dangerously explorational. It would have to be done once a year, I imagine and would be very dangerous with Gagarth and Daga being so potent in the area, but safer than creating new Heroquest paths.

Alternatively the players could do the normal Ernalda Feeds the Tribe, but returns with somthing new, a magical hoe that creates irrigation ditches or perhaps they come back with Soelinthur's Rudder (Drastic Prax page 98) from Asrelia's Cavern. It would be a nice way to bring a potent magical artifact into you game, and would create some interesting stories when the Praxians try to steal back their Great Medicine Bundle. In this way they would do the same quest, without slipping into dangerous areas. Perhaps a worshipper of Ronance or a potent Ronance Spirit comes to visit them after they recover the ancient lost medicine bundle and also bestows bounty upon them, he later teaches them some myths that allow them to heroquest (albeit in a foreign Otherworld) to gain feriltiy from the land. However I think no matter what they do they should struggle with Daga, Gagarth, Molanni and Urox who plague them and try to undo their work, Eventually they may need to go to the Paps taking with them Ernaldan Magic in an attempt to gain support from the great earth spirits. All the time the Orlanthi are becoming more native - Sheep are replaced with Impala, Cattle with Bison, their houses change, their clothes change, their crops and farming techniques begin to change. By the time we look at the remains of their culture in 1621 they probably don't look to much like the Orlanthi they were.

Cheers Simon Bray

The Unspoken Word - The Magazine for Gloranthans and Heroes http://www.celtic-webs.com/theunspokenword/