Re: Heroes Behaving Badly

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 10:01:36 -0000

Andy Howard wrote:
>I'm trying to focus on morality and responsibility, mortal actions
>and their consequences in the magical world, and using myth to
>provide a framework by which the heroes can sort it all out.
>However, if the players are going to choose the easy, `bad' option
>every time, I'm worried I'll be narrating for a group of broos
>before too long.

Not so sure about broos, the model for 'bully boys' in Orlanthi myth is Vadrus or with more contemporary followers Urox or Gagarth. Uroxi can 'get away with it' because the fulfill a necessary social function, but Gagarthi are outlaws and without kin. To be an outlaw or Gagarthi is the ultimate fate of someone who continues to act in this way.

Orlanthi law does have provision for these problems, but the mechanic depends upon the assailants kinship to the victim. If they are from outside the clan, then blood revenge may be taken or compensation sought through the courts for the injuries. If they are from within the clan, but from a different bloodline, there can be no blood revenge, but a legal suit for compensation is possible, if they are from within the same bloodline then the other kinfolk will deal with the matter outside the law, led probably by the spakeman or bloodline elder or perhaps the godar. Such sanctions might include fines, and the lack of likelihood of support (going to the other side? your own kin won't support you Rathgar in fact they harden their hearts against you and you get a penalty). The utlimate sanction for the community is of course outlawry, denying the individual the protection and support of the community.

Remeber also that if an Orlanthi initiate or devotee were invovled Orlanth might consider their behaviour off-form and they might suffer a penalty to their magic outlined in TR, or even get a visit from a minor enforcer. Some of this may depend upon intent, if murder was in their mind then this probably ought to happen as kinstrife is so serious. If the outrage against the social order grow the whole community might suffer divine wrath as a warning to mend their ways.