Re: Yet another uber thread

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 10:19:33 +0000 (GMT)

> I think your reply falls in the first category,
> after
> all (for the love of discussion, of course: I do not
> intend to force my pattern of thinking on anybody).

Quite possibly. I still see Gloranthans as human, not completely alien. Pretty weird by our standards, but then RW people in earlier bits of history are also pretty weird by our standards. The extra abilities they can develop are a result of their environment, I think.

> > Humans are human: but in Glorantha, they *also*
> have
> > access to facilities that let them go beyond human
> > limitations and become gods. If they attain this
> > state
> > while still subject to human weaknesses, the
> results
> > can be unfortunate.
>
> So "human weakness" could be represented in
> herowars/quest terms as a huge flaw (let's say 10W3)
> which is implicit in any human hero description
> (much
> like darksense for uz)?
> Superheroes get to deal with it sooner or later?

Something like that, I think. Though of course "human weakness" is a bit too vague to be useful. I was thinking more that "affect universe W5" had better go hand in hand with "predict consequences W5" or there could be messy results. And humans tend to grab the former without developing the latter.

> But I don't think it's correct to compare Gloranthan
> magic to technology.

In terms of its being a tool, available to most, that gives you powers beyond those of an unaided human, it can be a useful analogy. Not perfect, no.

> To use a car you have to get one and then learn how
> to use it.
> To be a Devotee of Humakt, you have to, well, _be_
> one. You can't just learn it.

Try comparing your normal driver with a standard Orlanthi warrior, and the Devotee of Humakti with a Formula 1 driver, and you may find the analogy fits better.

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com