Meat and Tradition (was Blackhorse #s)

From: Mike Dawson <mdawson_at_...> <mdawson_at_...>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 15:58:15 -0000

> I know the man is rich, but imagine the drain if every demonhorse
eats as much meat as a tiger or more (they are bigger).

This is a fascinating point, one that clearly needs a cool explanation in the same vein as the explanation of the methods the giants use to provide for their babies on their cradle trips.

Perhaps the demon horses have much slower metabolisms than normal animals? If they eat as often as crocidiles then that lessens the problem. Or maybe they hunt in the Underworld, living off the souls of bad Atroxians.

> And yes, I bet they do have long spears and so forth. I'm just a big
fan of the Carmanian knights being persian style Cataphracts, and that
> doesn't mix with the other knights being of a style common over 1500
> years later.
>
> More a question of the evolution of tactics than what's possible and
> what's not, I think.

Seems to me that it isn't necessary for tech and tactics to be evenly distributed across Genertela. Didn't some eastern european countries try to send cavalry against tanks in WWII?

As Greg has mentioned, keeping your original (military) traditions has strong potential payoff in Glorantha, especially if your Guardian Being requires things a certain way. Hence, (to use Greg's example) some regiment in Dara Happan that fights with stone weapons because they have done so since Murharzarm's time or earlier.

The clash of traditionally armed units with newer military ideas seems  perfectly themed for the Hero Wars.

Mike
http://differentgames.onestop.net