Re: Scenario idea

From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 08:34:45 +0100 (BST)

> My questions:
>
> How plausible is it that an Orlanthi clan could be persuaded to raid on a
> major holy day (even if it one for a deity not seriously worshipped by that
> clan)?

Given the number of Orlanthi gods and their respective holy days, not raiding on a holy day is somewhat impractical. That said, do we know Vinga's holy days? Aren't they the same as Orlanth's? In which case its highly unlikely...

> Would the family hiring a band of Gagarthi be a more plausible work-around?

As I said, I don't think that "raiding on a holy day" is enough reason not to do it. Disrupting an actual ceremony is a bit much for most Orlanthi though. Unless they were seriously feuding with the clan in question (or wanted to be) they probably would draw the line there.

On the whole, the Gagarthi seems more plausible.

> Is it plausible that a disrupted initiation could result in a girl being
> stranded in the Otherworld?

Oh yes. See KODP failed quests passim.

> If so, what kind of disruption would be needed? Physical scattering of the
> congregation, regalia and so on, what else ... ?

I'd probably want them to re-enact (intentionally or otherwise) the part of one of the protagonists in the original quest, and then make a mistake - say by not losing the fight they were suppossed to. The girl would see them, eg, as Uz, and only when the first one dies find he was in fact her brother. This causes her to stop fighting, thus failing the quest.

Disruption is probably bad for the disruptors as well - the girl may not be the only one stranded, some may die, etc.

> What punishments would a tribe inflict on a clan that took part in such an
> impious act? How might the impious family be punished? (Outlawry seems the
> obvious one for individuals and bloodlines).

The Clan would have to punish the wrongdoers, or risk being expelled from the tribe. Presumably they see this as a bad thing, or they wouldn't be there in the first place. The family, or some part thereof, would be required to pay reparation at minimum, be outlawed at worse. Remember, outlawry is normally a death sentence, especially when there are those out for vengence.

Hope this helps. All in my opinion, etc.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson			The Stable Yard - Internet Solutions
gjr_at_...		http://www.thestableyard.net