Re: Re: Of Garhounds and Punning Myths

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 05:57:19 -0800

> >I don't recall having seen Praxian dogs mentioned. (Scans eastern
> >horizon for incoming Metcalfian exocets). Little use to the nomads,
> >though the oasis people may have some semi-domesticated jackal types.
> >

> Isn't Brother Dog one of the spirits in "Nomad Gods"?

Yep. And I don't know about John's assertion that dogs are little use to the nomads - dogs were very useful to the Native Americans, and were part of every village. As alarm systems they are extremely valuable, and you can eat them if times are lean and the buffalo (err, Impala, Sables, Alticameli, Herd men...) don't come.

Jane says:
Trying to remember Dorasar's family background without having KoS with me in work, and failing...

Grandson of Sartar, son of Eonistaran the Sage. Otherwise little is known (at least in KoS)...

The Garhound could be one of the small gods/spirits that become Guardian Beings, probably for the family. When the family moves, so does the Garhound. It is an under-powered wyter that only protects its immediate family. Its Defense function is probably an Alarm, the Offense function may be "Attack Stranger", or "Harry Quarry" or some other suitable "doggish" ability, or may be something to do with the "Gar-" aspect (whatever you determine it to be - spear, god...) The Blessing function is pretty much wide open...

Roderick

Roderick