Re: Re: Of Garhounds and Punning Myths

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 15:10:58 +0000 (GMT)

> It could be simply descriptive, a long, lean dog
> (with or without fish head).

> > Ah, maybe when Declan arrived, he and his family
> did a Quest ...

> .. the Lord of the town called forth the
> guardian of his family. A
> mist rose up from the river and mingled with that of
> the well ...

Of course! What does any new arrival do in the way of a ceremony when they arrive in Prax? They make friends with the local water spirit! So the (present) Garhound is in part a water spirit: the son of the local river. Manifesting requires mist from the river: yes, the *right* river. And the little garhounds can only do their blinking tricks near the river, too, (that's got them back down to scale!).

(I take it Garhound does *have* a river: or at least, some sort of water source?)

What they neglected to check was the identity of the father: and there's your Brother Dog link. And a shaman of Brother Dog can command his son...

> a old
> man of the strangers stepped forward, rattled
> something and did a
> strange little dance and what does the Garhound do?
> It wags it's misty tail, is what it does!
> Then it lay down, head between front paws and
> whines.
>
> The Lord was a little surprised to say the least.

I bet! Now explain why, in that case, Garhound wasn't over-run by nomads within a season or so of being founded. Did this little old man then greet them as friends, allies, and fellow dog-worshippers? And teach them how to train their garhounds? Taking the son and heir away with him to teach him Mystical Secrets?

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com