RE: Re: ILH newest information

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 06:49:33 -0000

Checking out Warehouse 23 (as one does) for any news of the deal from SJG's side, I found this surprising new release:

HeartQuest
(Seraphim Guard)
New Release

Romantic Roleplaying in the Worlds of Shoujo Manga

Enter the worlds of HeartQuest and experience a new dimension of manga and anime roleplaying. HeartQuest is the first roleplaying game dedicated to shoujo manga, "girls' comics," style storytelling. Designed by dedicated fans, HeartQuest covers the entire spectrum of shoujo manga settings and remains true to the genre. Magical girls, teen romance, fantastic worlds, idol singers, school exams, evil villains, and much more await inside this book.

The hallmark of shoujo manga style is an emphasis on character development. HeartQuest provides players with powerful tools to put their characters in the spotlight of every game session. The flexible character creation system lets you design whatever character you can imagine. Will you play the star of the school soccer team, an orphan coming to grips with a strange destiny, the gaijin exchange student struggling to fit in, a dashing swordswoman fighting for love and honor, or...? In HeartQuest, the choice is yours.

HeartQuest features elegant, simple, and easy to learn rules, built from the popular Fudge system, that encourage character interaction and dramatic storytelling. HeartQuest provides players and Game Masters plenty of tips and hints for getting their games up and running:

Many pages of sample characters
Dozens of illustrations to spark your imagination Guidelines for shoujo style campaigning Overviews of genres suitable for HeartQuest adventures Three introductory campaign settings - "Ghost Tamer Miyaki," "Sendai Academy," and "Steel Heidi" - complete with sample characters Experience the exciting world of shoujo manga with HeartQuest!

128 pages
Stock #SGD1001 * ISBN 0-9721403-0-1 * $20.00

>From the Seraphim Guard page, an example of play (I assume):

       Richard, the American exchange student, looked deeply into Chiharu's dark eyes. For some reason, he looked far less geeky to the girl than he had ever looked before.

       "Richard-san," Chiharu stammered, "why are you looking at me like that? What's going on?"

       "Because I have something to say. I love you, Chiharu."
      Chiharu looked back stunned. "No, no you can't -"
       "Please listen to me! Ive been thinking about you and only you ever
since I came to Japan. You're the most perfect girl, the most perfect person I've ever met. And I...."

       Suddenly a male voice from behind interrupted them. "Hey! Gaijin! What the hell do you think you're doing with Chiharu?"

       They turned to see a sandy-haired boy, their classmate and Chiharu's childhood friend, facing them. Blazing fury was in his eyes as he glared at Richard.

      "Hiroshi!" Chiharu exclaimed. "What are you doing?"
      "Chiharu, this guy can give you nothing but pain." He then turned his
full attention to the American. " And if you hurt her, Richard, I'll kick your ass!"

Now I know this isn't Greg's favourite Japanese teen manga genre (DON'T ASK!), but the cover art's got more babes than Hero Wars. Let's hope for a few accidental crossover sales: I see endless potential ahead! Roll on the Steel Heidi cultural keywords...

Cheers, Nick