Re: Re: Lunar candy???

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 01:09:36 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, me1stra <melstra_at_...> wrote:

> > Here in Europe it's easy to find something called 'Turkish
> delights'.
>
> Mikko-
>
> Are you referring to Salmiakki? (Turkish pepper?)

No, it's something stranger than that:

http://www.turkishdelights.cc/cgi-bin/cart.pl?DT=29

They feel father gelatinous, but are apparently done without any. Cornstarch (something else originally, I bet), water, sugar and flavorings. All coated with sugar powder. Quite bad for one, I bet, as candy should be.

> Ah, i miss the
> Salmiakki my friends used to bring over from Finland. One friend
> actually did a class project on the various ways of making Salmiakki-
> vodka. Now that would be something interesting to have at the
> convention! Unfortunatly, north american palates aren't very keen on
> the intense anise flavor of Salmiakki...alas. Good idea, though. It
> does seem like it would fit in glorantha well.
>
> -
> Melanie
> p.s. Do we have any Finns making it to Gloranthacon??

Alas, not me. Having to make study money as a securitu guard transatlantic flights are quite out of the question.

But I can help with the Salmiakki (I wonder what the international name is?).

Tell me what sort you liked, and give me your address. I'll happily send you a batch. What is the Gloranthan tribe for, eh? :)

        -Adept