Orlanthi initiation rites

From: Viktor Haag <vhaag_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:53:30 -0500

Last night I read the brief sections in /Thunder Rebels/ about the rites for initiation into adulthood for Heortlings, and I have a few questions:

(1) How do these guidelines change now that we have a distinction

    between "common magic" and "normal worship", and     "speclialized worship"?

(2) Is there a reference to something on the 'net about what the

    rite feels like from the Not Adults' point of view? The     description in /TR/ is evocative, but not very detailed.

Motivation: I'd like to start off my campaign with the players-who-know-nothing-of-the-game as Orlanthi Not Adults who either have just passed through the initiation, or who will pass through the initiation in the first few sessions. I think the latter is more compelling, and will help immerse the players in the world more. But what I need now is descriptive scenes for Not Adult Orlanthi (both boy and girl) to help me paint a good picture for them.

I already have a rough idea about the events for the first two sessions (an adventure I'll call "Lost Sheep" and will put writeup to web upon completion), but I think including the initiation rites is a pretty important part of that process: ideally, they'd be the climax points for the adventure, or maybe the denuement, I have quite decided on that yet..

In that vein; has anyone does this with the game before? Does anyone have any tips for shepherding these novices into creating Orlanthi at a level that's younger than they otherwise might be? Start with scores of 15 instead of 17, frex?

Finally, I know that female and male rites happen on a different time scale amongst the Orlanthi:

  (To what extent to other groups playing fantasy rolegames deal   with this fact-of-female-life? Are there any essays on the net   on incorporating it, or accounting for it, in one's game?)

Digression: I feel blessed! A gaming group with more women than men! Any other women in Southern Ontario want to join our group to skew the stats even further?

--
Viktor