Re: Orlanthi initiation rites

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 10:49:05 +0000 (GMT)

> Female initiation is more of a family/women's circle
> affair, with part of
> the rite being conducted at menarche (and, I
> believe, concluded fully with
> the heroquest of a woman's first child) .

> > * How early do Heortling women begin menstruating
> (I kind of
> > assumed 12 to 14, but I don't know any
> historical data on the
> > subject.)
>
> That seems a fair range. Onset of menarche is
> primarily linked to nutrition,
> and most Heortlings eat rather well. (at least,
> prior to 1621 :))

FWIW, I've always worked on the theory that female adult initiation *causes* menstruation (and the male version causes the new men to start needing to shave), rather than having causality the RW way round. Glorantha is magical, and the myths are real. This is just another of those little things that hammers it home to players.

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com