RE: Re: Initiation

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 20:10:58 -0000

On Monday, March 17, 2003 7:29 PM, Wulf Corbett wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 09:05:15 -0000, Wulf wrote:

> > >Chalana Arroy cultist must never have killed, I believe, surely
> > >taking part in a battle would involve a bit of killing, or do you
> > >just have to watch?

The writeup in Storm Tribe says nothing of the sort. It does say that worshippers, with specific reference to those who switch cults to join that of Chalana Arroy, must renounce violence and are expected to buy down their combat abilities over time (as if they were flaws). Failure to do so incurs the divine retribution of the goddess.

> > I think you're allowed to repent your murderous lifestyle and
> embrace
> > the white goddess. At least you certainly could in the RQ days.

<snip>
> Fair enough. Repenting isn't mentioned, and
> given just about EVERYONE would have to do it, I see that as an
> indicator it's not normal practice.

It doesn't actually use the word 'repent' (instead, it talks of "renouncing" violence) but it seems very heavily implied to me. The fact that healers buying down their combat skills (and the need for prospective Disciples to already have done so) is specifically mentioned in the writeup (ST p38 & 39) suggests to me that renouncing violence and becoming a healer is, if not an everyday practice, at least a relatively common one.

Regards,

Bruce