Re: What attracted you to Glorantha?

From: Agent Groove <coridan_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 02:09:07 -0500

> Of course, the "for most people, magic just augments mundane
> abilities" feature of HW/HQ detracts from this a bit, but at least
> you still have MAGIC!

This brings up a gripe I always had about the Hero Wars magic system. What the hell does Magic in HW dom anyway? The feats can work well if you have a good working knowledge of the various myths, but most new players won't know Orlanth from Blowhole, and there's no way that new players will tolerate being made to read something. Any successful game system needs clearly described, objective power descriptions. Magic in Hero Wars, for me, is way to vague, and the magic system is one great indication of how HW is designed with the Gloranthaphile in mind, as opposed to the new gamer.

"A leader gets power from followers.
"Violence is always an option."
"A good man does all things well"
"Mistakes are made, and fixed."

Proverbs of Orlanth, King of the Storm Gods Chris Bell
coridan_at_...
argrath_at_...