RE: Re: Fun OR Accuracy?

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 15:34:19 -0800

Friends,

>What I was attempting to convey is why I feel there
>is a resistance to>Glorantha from some of the more recent players. I>admit, I was focusing on>the negatives and glossed over the positives. I'll>also admit, much of my
>view of the "current" Glorantha comes from reading>the Glorantha Digest &>the Hero Wars group.

Sure to give an inaccurate picture, where most players have only the published books.

>That comes from being unable>to find a group that's>willing to play Hero Wars.

Ugh. Keep trying. You GM, they will come.

>My general dissatisfaction comes from my general
>impression of the flavor of
>the world now. Originally, I liked it because it
>was different, but not as
>inaccessible as, for example, Empire of the Petal
>Throne. Empire of the
>Petal Throne seemed to be a great effort for a very
>detailed & different
>campaign world, but so different the effort
>required to play in the world &
>make it feel "real" was too high. Glorantha didn't
>have that level of
>differences. It seems that it is much close to
>that level now, than it used
>to.

I understand what you are saying. I don't think it is as different as Tekumel, though I am biased.

>Perhaps the problem is that RQ2 broke new group
>with almost every supplement
>or adventure released.

Nice to read that. When I was writing or compiling those supplements I was deliberately trying to present a different way of presenting Glorantha. AL = a one-off (well a 1-off per scenario); GM = a setting where you make up the plot; BL = serial adventures; Pavis = city adventures, make adventures as you wander; and BR = episodic (non serial) adventures.

>Greg, I'm glad to hear that Apple Lane still exists
>in your campaign. I
>could have sworn it was from your posting that
>Apple Lane doesn't really fit
>in the current Glorantha. Yes, you added the caveat
>of "however, your
>campaign may vary."

Just for hte record, the official HQ version is Your Glorantha Will Vary.

>Still, it seems I either was
>mistaken or misread your
>intentions.

I've actually got, and played at Tentacles, an updated version of the poor hamlet after the Lunars have taken it over. I'd love to do, also, a larp set there when all the children come home and compete for the loyalty of the people.

>Personally, I agree to some degree that each
>campaign will vary. However,
>if it varies too much from the standard, that group
>won't be buying the new
>products, because they vary too much.

Groups seem to me to either stick close to the published material or to vary widely.

>Part of my reason of writing the post was to point
>out what a hurdle there
>is to increase the number of people who are exposed
>to & enjoy Glorantha.

Yes, I udnerstand, and I hope you understand that I too seek this information. Hence this, and other, comments on the subject.

>Many in this position focus on trying to get new
>players to play & enjoy the
>type of game the current publications encourage.

Yes, of course.

>Unfortunately, for any
>significant increase, you need to move towards what
>people are interested in
>buying,

As many of the current responses who, there is a significant number of people who are interested in the TR/ST type of information. Also, I think you will be pleased with the newer type of HQ material that we are going to release.

>not just convince them they are wrong about
>whatever is keeping them
>from buying the supplements (at the same time, you
>also don't want to water
>down the central elements that make Glorantha
>unique and attractive).

Of course.

>However, if I want to
>pick up the "Glorious
>Reascent of Yelm" to use as a book in my campaign,
>I then have to explain
>why he doesn't exist in the book.

This comment was very instructional to me. GRoY was NEVER ingtended to be for anyone except the most hard core. I published it as deep background, not as scenario material. See my response to Jane, for more.

>Personally, I'd like Glorantha to make a strong
>comeback. I think there are
>many hurdles right now to that happening. System
>is one.

No changing the system now. I like it, feel that it does Glorantha justice. I think the HQ prsentatino will go a long way to making it more clear, too.

> However, one is
>the feeling of a new player that there is too much
>"homework" to do to get
>the proper feel of the world.

The HQbok tries to make it clears, with constant references to "all you need to know to play" in it. More can be learned by following the "if you ant to know more" references, but I've played it often with people who have read NOTHING of the rules or background. Ive played with A LOT of people who have read nothing, and they are ahppy and content. I frankly always felt that such was the norm for players. I'll say agian, I think the final HQ rules will go far to making clear what is needed and what is voluntary, and what is deep.

>Many things added to
>the world, add to its
>"alien" feel, but at the same time reduce its
>attractiveness to the average
>gamer ("what can I do without the clan spirit
>knowing?")

Of course, this is the kind of thing that ought to be worked in by the narrator playign the game, starting (as suggested by others) with players knowing nothing.

What is clear to me is that Issaries has not made it clear in its own items is where they fit, as either core items or as background items.

Again, the new publications will go far to clarifyign that, I think.