Re: Suggestions for Apple Lane

From: BEThexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 15:26:40 -0000

Very true. I lived in France for a couple of years, and totally loved that you could strike off in any random direction, stop in whatever village you came to (and you are never out of sight of church steeples), and there would be some fascinating piece of history. Joan of Arc was kept there one night while the english were marching her off to her execution. The church tower is truncated because it was used as a siting tower in the franco-prussian war until the other side bombarded it. The place is still surrounded by the massibe earth works built when it was on the frontier during the cannon age. The place was actually one of the first royal cities of the Merovingian kings, had its own bishop for a while, and was home to one of the first post-roman schools....and now its biggest excitement is when a second string bicycle race passes through town. Louis the fourteenth kept too of his mistresses in town, and gave them each a very nice estate. The village originally served a royal hunting lodge. Just out of town is an impressive chateau built by a corrupt royal finance minister. And on it goes.

Combine this with Glorantha, where every hill top is a minor holy place to Orlanth, and pretty much every clan has one or more minor holy sites that they use to worship their main gods, and I don't think making somewhere as famous as Apple Lane a minor holy site to an "odd" goddess is out of line. But that is just my opinion....it amuses me, I'd probably use it, but I doubt anything so involved would get printed in any official source anyway.

--Bryan