Re: First session a success! (Now I have some questions)

From: Antonio Álvarez del Cuvillo <antalvarez1976_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 08:13:27 -0000

>Our experience is that character generation can be a bit of a
>hurdle. The 100-word narrative method is impractical for most new
>players. The list-method seems to work OK. We've never used the
>create-during-play method.

I have always used the narrative method (one time the create-during- play becoming narrative) and most of my players didn't know Glorantha or HW at all. But certainly, it needs some preparation.

I gave my players some pages with a very short and easy-to-read introduction to Glorantha, HW and heortling culture (before Thunder Rebels) and a list of keywords. They were supposed to make the 100- word description at home, before first session. All players came with a 'concept' or idea for their characters but most of them haven't made the description. We used first session for making descriptions and characters and explaining the game concept and rules.

After Thunder Rebels and Storm Tribe, I have made a short, easy, introduction of heortling culture and I have use it for new players/characters. Sure, most of my players didn't want to read a big book in english just for playing, but a short introduction in our language works for the game (they began to know and appreciate the setting).

Regards,

Antonio