Re: Common magic for Heortlings?

From: Jeff <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 16:33:11 -0000

> It seems to me, then, that 'common magic' is exactly the same as
> the little charms, invocations, talismans, and superstitions that
> cultures have in our real world (throwing salt over your left
> shoulder, etc, etc), except in Glorantha, they *work*.

Folk magic. Very nice analogy. It comes from a variety of sources - all three "Otherworlds" as well as from the Inner World.

> However, I can certainly believe that a God(dess) certainly
> wouldn't imbue a person with magic, or do magical things on their
> behalf, until they had properly become "known" to the God(dess),
> i.e. by the rite of adulthood folllowed on by initiation into the
> mysteries of that or this God(dess).

Not necessarily, though I think that this is usually the. Some folks have magic of their own. Wild Talents and 'Naturals' do happen. Sometimes they are a danger to others. Someone with a great variety of talents might be considered Eurmal touched.

But initiation is often to the 'god who calls you' - and often your natual magics may be an (ahem) affinity for that deity (or spirit, or saint or small rock that talks to you in your sleep).

<snippage>
> --
> Viktor

Jeff