Re: New Campaign Questions

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 22:31:50 +0100

Doyle Tavener wrote:

> Questionnaire Questions:
> There are several clan attitudes that can result from the
> questionnaire. May all of these by taken by the players if they wish?

> Is their any cost to their other abilities? In other words, is there
> any reduction in their abilities (number or rating) from character
> generation as a result of taking these?

I give them for free, in effect adding them to the Heortling keyword. One player didn't want to take oen of the Hate X abilities, which I allowed. I would insist on players taking the Fear X abilities, however, as they are flaws.

> Are there any effects (campaign consequences, rather than game
> effects) from the picking of a Heortling tribe, or is this
> fundamentally ornamentation?

It sets campaign tone. The Lismelder are zombie destroying quacky duck lovers (pah!), whereas the Sambari are slavers, etc.

> HeroQuest Questions
> What's the difference between a Talent, Spell, Feat, and Charm?

I guess you'd better buy a copy of the HQ rules when they come out!

> I am planning on all the characters starting as Initiate-level, i.e.
> 18-20 year olds. I was thinking that as Keyword ratings, I would go
> with Culture 12, Occupation 15, Magic 15 (no devotees), all others
> 12, and two abilities at 1w and 18. How does that sound?

I'd recommend against lowering the cultural KW; after all, that's something for which the characters have a lifetime's experience!

BTW, starting with an occupation KW of 17 is low-level already. Look at the Narrator Resources in Barbarian Adventures: the typical Tarshite Warrior has Warrior 19, and a typical Heortling patrol member has Warrior 3W.