Re: Yet another bloody mailing list.

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 11:23:56 +0100

Jane Williams writes :

>Moving an interesting discussion to the GD usually
>means that it dies. I'm not sure why: maybe because
>having the thing in daily digest format rather than
>individual messages is such a pain.

I'll cut the rest of Jane's comments, because most of them are referred to right here.

Moving a discussion to the GD normally kills it because there was no life in it anyway. Threads here are kept alive by one or two people posting compulisively - responding to every individual point in every individual message, however much they repeat themselves. In some cases that leads to a dreadful "got-to-have-the-last-word" attitude, and discussions being dominated by those who are fastest typers. When these come to the Digest, a more thoughtful pace is enforced, leading to discussions dying natural deaths.

And yes, I do see the slower pace of the digest as a benefit. The discussions are more focused and more thoughtful. Witty one liners might not be as common as here, but the signal to noise ratio is far better, sometimes by orders of magnitude. Those who can't be bothered spending three seconds editing their posts, can use an un-digester (as I've said before) which will convert the incoming digest into individual messages. I don't see the need for one, but I understand that several are available. Anyone who uses one, please let me know details!

Finally, this is definately the wrong list for discussion of the Digest's possible benefits or shortcomings. Let's take it to the digest...

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson