'Lunars' (Was Re: Lunar Handbook census ?'s

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 11:12:41 -0000

> First, a religious classification, referring to people having
> given themselves to the Lunar religion.
>
> Second, an increasingly cultural/racial one, as these
> people have kids over the generations, tending towards
> the spread of a bona fide Lunar culture and race.

Yet since the Lunar Way is to embrace and extend, rather than displace existing cultural links, many 'Lunars' like to show off their ancient cultural roots. Of course those families that have lived in Silver Shadow for many generations have little to no actual contact with their root culture, and may have some very odd ideas about the actual practice of various cultural traditions. For example, they might have little real idea of the appropriate times to use various greeting rituals. This might seem either comical, or even patronising, to people actualy from the root culture involved.

E.g. A Rinliddi tourist arrives in Glamour and asks directions to Gbaji Park.

Tourist: "Excuse me, which way is Gbaji Park?" Local: "I say, are you from Rinliddi?"
Tourist: "Er, yes."
Local: "Gosh, so were my ancestors! I've been taking lessons to put me back in touch with my cultural roots. Tell me what you think." Launches into elaborate and inapropriate mock featherpreening  ritual.
Tourist: "Are you taking the piss?"
etc....

Simon Hibbs