Re: Back in town : rule questions

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 23:49:05 -0700

Frédéric

> Did you experienced something similar or did you find
> out that bonuses were really twice as useful as edges?

I think bonuses are better than edges (they give AP as well), but it is true that if you have an edge, your optimum betting strategy is to always stake 1 AP, purely by the numbers. Boring!

I have always recommended ignoring edges except in unusual circumstances, and since HeroQuest is going to do the same, don't worry about this.

> 2) Inflicting wounds : We thought the 1 wound to 7 AP ratio was a little bit
> odd. A wound (or hurt) only inflict a -1 to abilities after all. Why would
> someone want to trade AP's for wounds?

It was a popular option when we were playtesting, especially when multiple people were attacking a large monster.

> Should we change the ratio to 1
> wound for 2 or 3 AP? Or change the hurt penaltiy from a flat -1 to a -25%
> penalty? The second option would change the combat consequence chart to
> something like:

Then all you need to do is 28 AP and you reduce it to -100%! Each 7 AP forgone gives a -1. They can add up.

If your campaign is really high level, then perhaps Hurt should be more than -1, but I'd experiment carefully.

--

David Dunham
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>