Power of deities

From: Mike Dawson <mdawson_at_...>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 05:01:54 -0000

I'm very curious how the authors intend to show this difference in power between gods (or gods and spirits and sorcerous entities, for that matter.)

In RQ, this was pretty clear for gods based on the description of spells and the limitations on rune magic.

In HW, the only way I've seen to show a difference is in how cool or lame a god's secret is.

Not that I mean to suggest that I prefer the old RQ magic, but the HW magic has very few "built in" limitations on it, making it possible for a Zorak Zorani worshipper to "prove" that his god's killing magic is greater than Humakt's, simply by dint of his having it at 10W3 while the Humakti is at 12W2.

(Yes this is a contrived example, but I'm sure you all see where I'm going.) In RQ, there was a clear difference between the reusable Sever Spirit from Humakt and the one use Smash spirit (or whatever it was called) from ZZ.

So, how IS one god MECHANICALLY more powerful than another in HQ? Seems to me the answer is "because the Narrator knows who's tougher." Anyone got a better answer?

Mike Dawson
http://differentgames.onestop.net