Playing Trickster

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_...>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 12:28:15 +0200

(transferred from the GD, because this is about playing HQ) :-)

Hmmm, the playing Trickster question reminds me many ways about old 1st edition AD&D debates about playing chaotic evil characters, or thieves.

Like tricksters, these kinds of characters, played "well" that is, almost invariably ruin the character groups they belong to, and can v. easily provoke unpleasant RPG experiences.

But I've seen a couple of exceptions, and I don't see that a ** very well thought-out ** character concept for a Trickster couldn't be playable over the long run.

Just one example would be the one whose tricks always bring disaster on his own head, and needs help from the other PCs simply in order to carry on breathing. Sure, he'd probably get more than his fair share of focus, but played sensitively this could enhance a game, not detract from it.

One of our old _players_ was a walking disaster area, but the fact that we had to spend at least one hour every session saving his skin definitely improved our game !!

Julian Lord