Towns and clans

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 17:44:02 -0800

Friends,

Andy has raised some interesting points, and I'd put in a couple of words quickly.

>what is the relationship of the clans to the townsmen Heortlings?

Let's start with "towns."
A cluster of buildings larger than a stead, say one that has several steads, is a village. Most clans have a town of their own. It's a cluster of dwellings and other buildings, such as the clan smith, the clan temples and the clan chief's long hall. It has a weekly market, too.

>I assume that, while there's
>certainly large commonality, the clans believe that
>the only true Heortling way is in the tula.

I think this is too primitive. I think the Heortling way recognizes towns as a part of their normal way of life.

>I'm presuming that most clansmen never set foot in a
>city, or if they do, it's quite rare.

Again, too restructive to me. Most clans are within a week's voyage of a real city, and I would guess most of them have been there. At least to their own city. Probably not much father. But in general, the city is where a regular (daily) market is, and is also the point where the clans meet each other and meet outsiders, where larger temples are, and where the specialty temples are likely to be.

>I also note variations on subcults
>(such as Issaries) stemming from the town/clan
>distinction.

Yes, absolutely. The Garzeen will be in the city, a Harst represents the clans.

>I'm
>particularly curious about the economics; is clan
>trade primarily between the clans, or does it go more to the local settlements (if any)?

The Harst collects the spare grain (hence his name) from the clan and takes it to the city, where he trades it for the goods that the clan does not make for itself.