Re: Towns and clans

From: Andrew J. Weill <aweill_at_...>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 22:05:05 -0700

Greg has clarified:

>Let's start with "towns."
>A cluster of buildings larger than a stead, say one that has several
>steads, is a village.
>Most clans have a town of their own. It's a cluster of dwellings and other
>buildings, such as the clan smith, the clan temples and the clan chief's
>long hall. It has a weekly market, too.
>
> >I assume that, while there's
> >certainly large commonality, the clans believe that
> >the only true Heortling way is in the tula.
>
>I think this is too primitive. I think the Heortling way recognizes towns
>as a part of their normal way of life.

At some point, though, do they view that it goes too far? I've always thought that Heortlings would be uncomfortable with Lunar or Western style cities.

Also, to what extent is city organization modeled upon clan organization, as opposed to a different model?

> >I'm presuming that most clansmen never set foot in a
> >city, or if they do, it's quite rare.
>
>Again, too restructive to me. Most clans are within a week's voyage of a
>real city, and I would guess most of them have been there. At least to
>their own city. Probably not much father.
>But in general, the city is where a regular (daily) market is, and is also
>the point where the clans meet each other and meet outsiders, where larger
>temples are, and where the specialty temples are likely to be.

I'm getting a picture of something a bit akin to the distinction between town and village in colonial America.

By the way, Greg, hi, and thanks for chiming in.