Re: Question(s)

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_...>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 10:31:42 +0100

On Wed, 07 May 2003 23:01:49 -0500, you wrote:

>If you were new to Glorantha, and wanted to start a campaign for people who have had no exposure to Glorantha, but had access to all published Gloranthan settings (official or unofficial),
>
>1) Which one, if any, would you choose?

Probably somewhere like Balazar, if only I could work out what that area's HeroQuest tagline is.

>2) If you chose NOT to go with a previously-established Gloranthan setting, which non-published area would you go with?

I've a soft spot for Wenalian Trader Princes. There's something more or less comprehensible about the setting of being a castle surrounded with encroaching jungle full of barbarians and mysterious plant people. There are enough character types available to let people play fairly straight forwards warriors or wizards or semi-converted wild men and the like that people without a postgraduate degree in Gloranthan esoterica can come up with characters.

I've also considered a vaguely italianate game in a Safeslan city state. This would be a setup for more powerful characters who're on the city council trying to deal with the schemings of the deposed Duke who's taken refuge in a neighbouring 'villain' city.

>Please explain your reasoning. (As if I had to say that!)&#92;

The basic problem with trying to introduce newbies to Glorantha is that there's Just Too Much of it. Both Balazar and Wenalia are full of story opportunity, but aren't so overloaded with known facts that a newbie has to spend forever reading stuff before they can get up to speed. Both areas are close enough to Dragon Pass and the developed areas so that when confidence IS developed the characters can go on quests to the famous bits.

While I have about eight foot of Gloranthan writings on my bookshelves I can't expect newbies to read them.

>Personally, I'd choose either the Pavis/Big Rubble books, or Griffin Mountain. Pavis/Big Rubble because there's a lot of material available, and it's not too dissimilar from other FRPGs in many ways, and it's a good intro to Gloranthan weirdness. Griffin Mountain because hey, anybody knows how to play a primitive hunter, and it's also a good intro to Glorantha, and the format makes it adaptable for almost any level of gamemaster.
>
>Guy "D5X" Hoyle.

York BSAC Web Page:
http://website.lineone.net/~york_bsac